How to Avoid Scratches on Your Car Windows?
Did you know that too old windshield wipers can scratch your car windshield? Learn how to protect your windshield from the risk of damage. These simple tips and tricks will help you avoid most scratches and keep your windshield in good condition.
Start with a Clean Windshield:
- If your windshield is really dirty, help your wipers by cleaning it with a rag. This will prevent your wiper blades from dragging dust grains through your windshield. They might scratch it!
- When you stop to fill up with gas, get used to washing the windshield and wiping the wiper blades. This simple action will greatly reduce the risk of scratches on your car's windshield.
Windshield Wipers Should only be Activated on a Wet Windshield:
It is not advisable to activate the wipers on a dry windshield, especially if it is dirty.
- Make sure there is sufficient moisture in the windshield before pressing the wiper button.
The Wiper Fluid Reservoir Must be Full:
To make sure you don't activate the wipers on a dry windshield, make sure the wiper fluid reservoir is full.
- Check the fluid level frequently, especially during seasons when the wipers are in constant use.
Check Wiper Blades and Quickly Replace Worn Blades:
The windshield wipers have to do their job and eventually wear out.
- To avoid scratches on your windshield, you should regularly check the wiper blades to make sure they are in good working condition. If not, replace them.
- You can find wiper blades at auto parts stores and many superstores. This is a very simple repair job.
My Windshield is Scratched. What to do?
If these are negligible scratches, you may be able to remove them yourself.
- Try an acrylic product to remove scratches or polish the glass with cerium oxide. These products are available at a glass store or online.
When to Consult a Professional?
If the scratches on your windshield are deep enough to catch your fingernail when you run your finger over them, you should seek professional advice at a car window repair shop.
- This type of scratch will likely require a complete windshield replacement.
- Even if it is an expensive operation, it is essential for your road safety.
Take care of your car and take care of yourself!