10 Simple Tips to Avoid Car Accidents
Here is a list of very simple recommendations for everyone! Some advice seems obvious but could prevent the majority of accidents observed on a daily basis by insurers if they were actually followed.
1. No drinking and driving.
2. No risky behavior (and punishable by law) when driving: picking up the phone, reading, eating, drinking or smoking while driving.
3. Maintain your vehicle regularly. Follow the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations and pay particular attention to the condition of your vehicle's tires (wear, inflation, etc.)
4. Don't get into the vicious cycle of aggressive driving. It is sometimes difficult but it is always better to ignore the aggressiveness of other drivers and to refrain from any overbidding, whatever the circumstances. In the event of obvious abuse, you can always notify the police.
5. Observe the minimum safety distances, in particular on motorways, using the markings on the ground specifically provided for this purpose on the right of the road.
6. Strive to maintain a constant speed, without permanent slowdowns or acceleration. This will allow you to reduce your fuel consumption in the process.
7. Check your mirrors before setting off and keep an eye on them at all times.
8. If you have the possibility, take driving lessons at specialized training centers, sometimes offered by your insurer. You will be amazed to discover the many tips to help you drive better on a daily basis and to adopt the right reflexes in the event of unexpected behavior from other motorists.
9. Be extremely careful at road intersections. Crossroads are the source of countless accidents every day. As they approach, look left, then right, then left again before committing.
10. Always inform yourself about traffic conditions and ensure that your vehicle is clearly visible to other drivers. Systematically light your fires at nightfall and in the event of precipitation. Have the basics of “behavior of your vehicle” explained to you in order to allow you, for example, to regain control in the event of a skid.
Good Reflexes in Case of Breakdown or Accident:
You have a flat tire: try to drive at low speed to a safe place. On the roadside, indicate your presence with your warning triangle, activate the warnings, and put on your reflective vest. Then two options: fit your spare tire, or use a puncture spray. There are even some that can permanently repair the puncture.
You have had an accident: if possible, move your vehicle away from the traffic lanes. Here too, the warning - yellow vest - triangle triptych is essential. Secure uninjured passengers to safety outside the vehicle. If there are casualties, it is recommended not to move them except in cases of real danger.
You witness an accident: Failure to provide assistance to a person in danger can be punished. You must also wear your safety vest as a witness. Position yourself upstream of the accident to warn other motorists. As a witness, give your contact details to the gendarmerie and explain what you saw, reassure, and comfort the victims as well as possible.
Declarations in the event of an accident involving several cars: If an accident involves several cars, take all the information from the person responsible and witnesses. In the event of disagreement, it is up to the police or the gendarmerie to take the report. If you are not hospitalized, you have 5 days to send your declaration to your insurer by registered mail. In this case, you can request a medical certificate from your doctor, to be attached to your declaration.